Thank you Positive Ageing Trust HB and Wairoa College Duke of Edinburgh student tutors for helping us keep in touch with the Technology.Lee Jones - Avid Participant of Digital Seniors
We had one lady who came along to our Digital Seniors programme and mastered her iPad so well, she was able to attend the next programme and help others.Marilyn Scott - Heretaunga Seniors
We thought this (Digital Seniors Programme) was a great way to carry out Harry's wishes.Mrs Beverley Romanes - wife of late Harry Romanes
It's a great way for seniors to learn new skills that will help them stay connected.Course participant - Digital Seniors
Website created by E1 Web Concepts
Digital Seniors Programme
Computer literacy programme for seniors
The Digital Seniors Hawke’s Bay Programme was developed as a result of a generous donation from the Harry Romanes Bequest and endorsed by Mrs. Beverly Romanes.
The Positive Ageing Trust was made aware of the fact that a number of older people in our community are living independently and often away from family members. The aim of the programme was to provide these people in Hawke’s Bay with an opportunity to learn computer skills which will enable them to stay connected to their family members as well as their friends.
Other computer literacy classes provided by different organisations in the community have been reported to be a little daunting to elderly, involving very rigid learning from a book structure and often involve a big number of participants which can dilute the effectiveness of the sessions.
The Pilot Programme was launched in Hastings at Heretaunga Seniors in 2015 with the full support and help from Heretaunga Seniors.
The aim of the programme is to provide:
- Session duration – two hours – a cup of tea to be offered after the first hour
- Each course is ideally six weeks in duration with the opportunity for participants to repeat the course for consolidation and confidence building
- Participant numbers-
maximum of five. Participants are encouraged to bring their own computers to the classes. Course participants could be transported to the venue at a nominal fee.
- Programme content – to include email, word documents, attachments, Skype. Content is tailor-
made to participant requests/needs. Basic resource booklet has been written by the tutors.
- Programme tutors are volunteers who donate their time to help seniors learn computer skills. The tutors in Wairoa are Wairoa College Duke of Edinburgh students who just completed very successfully the Digital Seniors Wairoa pilot courses with Wairoa seniors.
- A basic Resource booklet has been written by the course supervisors. Each course has also tutor who looks after the course delivery, participant numbers and tutors. There is also a technical assistant who is very competent in computer technology and able to assist with seniors who bring their own devices to the courses.
The Digital Seniors Courses are running at present at Heretaunga Seniors Hastings, Age Concern Waipukurau and Taradale RSA. The courses will continue in all three locations in 2018. For further information please do not hesitate to contact us.